In view of the overflowing chess content, we would like to give you an overview of some of most significant projects and events:
Recent significant events
- FIDE Checkmate Coronavirus project
reached 500,000 entries milestone, where hundreds of thousands of people were participating in 2500+ tournaments running non-stop since May 18 under the motto "Checkmate Coronavirus".
- Anniversary chess match Space – Earth
On June 9, 2020, a unique match between Space and Earth took place in the main hall of the Moscow Museum of Cosmonautics, timed with the half-century anniversary of the first Space – Earth chess game played on June 9, 1970.
- Second installment of Clutch Chess
The Clutch Chess Champions Showdown International took place from 6 -14 June 2020 for a prize fund of $265, 000.
- Simultaneous exhibition with top grandmasters
100 players, the Winners of a Simultaneous exhibition prize at European Online Chess Championship, participated in simul exhibition with Top Grandmasters. https://www.europechess.org/
Ongoing and upcoming events
- Magnus Carlsen Chess Tour
The Magnus Carlsen Chess Tour is an unprecendented $1 million online series of chess events. It features World Chess Champion Magnus Carlsen and most of the world's best players competing in 4 super-tournaments, with the winners then playing in a Grand Final in August 2020.
- Magnus Invitational - Online Chess Masters
Sat–Sun 20 Jun – 05 Jul 2020
- Magnus Invitational - Legends of Chess
Tue–Wed 21 Jul – 05 Aug 2020
- Magnus Invitational - Grand Final
Sun- Thu 9-20August 2020
World Champion Magnus Carlsen and 11 more of the world's best chess players are competing in the Chessable Masters by chess24, the 3rd event in the $1 million Magnus Carlsen Chess Tour, taking place from June 20 to July 5. The 12 players will first be reduced to 8 in a 4-day knockout stage split into two groups. The A Group features Magnus Carlsen, Hikaru Nakamura, Daniil Dubov, Alexander Grischuk, Vladislav Artemiev and Harikrishna.
The tournament is sponsored by Chessable - the world's leading online chess training platform.
Official website: https://explore.
- First “real” chess tournament after the Corona lockdown
The Croatian Chess Federation is the first to organize a "real" chess tournament after the worldwide Corona Lockdown. From June 19 to 29, twelve players will meet face to face in the Croatian Championship. Host of the event is the town of Vinkovci where Bobby Fischer won a strong international tournament in 1968.
- Titled Tuesday - Speed Chess Championship Grand Prix
Beginning June 2, Titled Tuesday is part of the Speed Chess Championship Grand Prix as a direct path to qualify for the 2020 Speed Chess Championship. Titled Tuesdays will have a $50,000 prize fund spanning 20 weeks, and will take place every Tuesday from June 2 through October 13. With $2,500 in cash prizes available every week. https://www.chess.com/
- 2020 FIDE Chess.com Women’s Speed Chess Championship
FIDE and Chess.com have announced the 2020 FIDE Chess.com Women's Speed Chess Championship, an online competition for female players to be held between June 18 and July 20, 2020. The tournament has a total prize fund of $52,000. https://fide.com/news/577
- Webinar: Hybrid Chess – Integrating over-the-board and online play
22 Jun 2020 16.00–18.00 UTC+0200
- Introducing Fair Play Regulations and Best practices - A joint FPL/ARB Webinar.
Friday 26 June 3-6 PM CEST https://fpl.fide.com/seminars/
- ChessTech is a website and free newsletter on everything connected with technology in chess. Independent journalists provide news, background and hands-on knowledge. ChessTech is also running webinars, usually at a discount for ACP members (*contact us for the promo code).
- How can cheating in chess be overcome? Insights from an online debate
- What can chess professionals do now? By ACP President Alex Colovic
- Chess betting is back. Is matchfixing a risk?
- Chess.com/Nakamura vs Chess24/Carlsen
- How to stream. By ACP Premium member Fiona Steil-Antoni
We wish you robust health and positive mindset.
The ACP Board